Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Jackson County (Ore.) Records, 1853-1891
Mss7  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (58.76 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection of Jackson County records consists of about 1600 items formerly held by the County Clerk's Office. They include licences, bills, receipts and certificates pertaining to ferries, peddling, road building, elections and liquor sales (1853-1891).
Background
Jackson County (Ore.) is the southernmost county in that state. Apart from the Rogue River Valley, a region well-suited to deciduous orchard crops, it is largely mountainous, forested terrain. The county, one of the last in Oregon to be settled, was organized (1852) following a gold strike. Its 19th century county seat was Jacksonville, near the present-day city of Medford. Most of the documents in this collection bear the signatures of long-time County Treasurer, David Linn (1855-1867), or of one of two early County Clerks, William Hoffman (1860-1866) and W.H. Hyde (1867-1870). Local businesses such as: J.A. Brunner, Sachs Bros. and Anderson & Glenn [dry goods]; T.S. Pomeroy, Henry Denlinger and B.F. Dowell [printers]; and, Comstock & Cawley Livery Stables are frequently represented by bills for goods delivered. Many early residents are named in lists of road crews and delinquent taxpayers.
Availability
Collection is open for research.