This collection consists primarily of original correspondence concerning the early stages of planning, construction and landscaping
of Stanford University, 1886-1906. The construction of Memorial Church, the Library (1906), the Gymnasium (1906), the Museum,
and parts of the Quadrangle are featured. Major correspondents include Leland Stanford; Frederick Law Olmsted and J. C. Olmsted,
landscape architects; John McMillan, supervising engineer at the Stanford construction site; Charles Lathrop, Business Manager,
Stanford University; Charles Edward Hodges, draughtsman and later resident architect; Thomas H. Douglas, nurseryman; Henry
S. Codman, Olmsted partner; Joseph Lamb, manufacturer of stained glass windows; and Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, architectural
firm. The collection also contains some photocopies of Olmsted correspondence.