Scope and Content
Title: 25th Anniversary, California State University Dominguez Hills,
Date (inclusive): 1983-1986
Collection number: Series 09.4
California State University Dominguez Hills
Extent: 358 items
Department of Archives and Special Collections.
California State Library, Dominguez Hills.
All materials are open to the public unless specific restrictions are imposed.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain copyright authorization.
[Identification of item], 25th Anniversary, California State University Dominguez Hills, Series 09.4, Courtesy of the Department
of Archives and Special Collections. University Library. California State University, Dominguez Hills.
The 25th Anniversary Celebration was organized to observe the 25th anniversary of the 1960 California State Legislature's
authorization for the establishment of a college in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County. This campus was later named
the California State University Dominguez Hills. The Anniversary was celebrated during the academic year of 1985/86 with a
number of continuing events including lecture series, concerts, school showcase weeks. The year was climaxed in April 1986
with the Silver Salue Dinner.
A Steering Committee was established in January 1984 to coordinate the development and implementation of a program of events
for the celebration. The 1984 members included the following people:
prominently mentioned in these papers
- Dr. Hansonia Caldwell, Chair of the Committee
- Dr. Margaret Blue, alumna
- John Briner, staff
- Dr. Richard Butwell, CSUDH President, honorary
- Dr. Donald Gerth, honorary
- Dr. Judson Grenier, faculty
- Vera Bilbrew, alumna
- Dr. Leo Cain, honorary
- Dr. Lois Chi, emeritus
- Honorable Ralph Dills, Legislator
- Dr. Peter Ellis, faculty
- Dr. Lyle E. Gibson, honorary
- Dr. Marvin Laser, emeritus
- Dr. Donald MacPhee, Administration
- Blair McDonald, student
- Gilbert Smith, Univ. Advisory Board
After September 1985, additional committee members included:
- Robert Beverly, State Senator
- Katy Geissert, Univ. Advisory Board
- Dr. Harold Charnofsky, faculty
- Ellen Gerry, Univ. Academic Senate
- John Hollaway, student
- Dr. David Karber, Administration
- Dennis McCarbery, alumnus
- Dr. Milo Milfs, emeritus
- Lisa Stevens, student
- Dr. Kosaku Yoshida, fauculty
A Task Force was created by the Committee in October 1984 to coordinate the planning of the anniversary celebration. The original
- Dr. Hansonia Caldwell, Chair of Task Force
- Dr. Sharon Bassett, Administrative Fellow
- Dr. Joe Braun, Assc. Dean of Extended Education
- Margaret Coda-Messerle, Adminstration
- Larry Gray, Student Development
- Arnold Haskin, faculty
- Nancy Lichina, Alumni Affairs/University Relations
- Fran Pullera, University Relations
- Sue Carberry, faculty
- Dr. James Cooper, faculty
- Raul Aceves, University Relations
Later additions to the Task Force included:
- R. Bruce Parham, University Archivist
- Cindy Q. Young, Director of Development
Names also prominantly mentioned in these papers are:
- Louis D. Armand, President, Associated Students
- Dr. Joan Fenton, Dean, Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Kenneth W. Finley, Asst, V.P. University Relations
- Pamela Hammand, Director of Public Affairs and Publications
- Robert Jones, University Relations
- Douglas W. Spangler, Assc. V.P., University Relations.
Processing of this collection was by Susan K. Hikida as part of the course requirements of History 596, Internship in Public
History/Historic Preservation, C.S.U. Dominguez Hills, Fall 1986 semester. Supervising archivist, Jacquelyn Sundstrand, University
Archivist, C.S.U. Dominguez Hills.
Scope and Content
These files consists mainly of correspondence, memorandum, lists, calendars, flyer and circulars, invitations, minutes and
agendas, budgets, programs, and scripts relating to the planning and implemetation of the 25th Ammiversary of the California
State University Dominguez Hills. Topics covered include research and plannig, lectures and conferences, arts events, concerts,
memorbilia, campus history, and the Silver Salute dinner.
These papers originated from the files of Dr. Hansonia Caldwell, chair of the 25th Anniversary Steering Committee and the
Anniversary Task Force. Additional papers were added from the files of R. Bruce Parham, University Archivist at C.S.U. Dominguez
hills to 1985.
These papers were originally received in an unorganized state within several unlabeled folders, a notebook, and several unfiled
pieces. They have been organized according to major themes: Commission and Task Force, calendar of events, events, and the
Silver Salute dinner. Items discarded from the collection include samples of ammiversary invitaitons, programs, and handouts
from other campuses; draft budgets and calendar of events; personal notes of meetings; and campus and systemwide newsletter
Papers within these folders are arranged chronologically.
Additional anniversary information can be located within 1985/86 editions of the
Dominguez Hills Magazine,
CSU Stateline, and
This Month At Dominguez Hills