Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Children's Hospital of San Francisco Records, 1875-1988
BANC MSS 89/87 c  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (83.11 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The bulk of the collection consists of 45 volumes of minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors. In addition, there are administrative files containing bylaws, articles of incorporation, monthly and annual reports; Board records containing correspondence, member lists, and committee files in addition to the minutes; and material relating to medical staff. Also includes files for various departments and programs of the hospital and school of nursing, along with those concerning affiliated groups and other related organizations and subjects. The last subject area relates to the history of the hospital and was assembled by Children's Hospital in preparation for their centennial anniversary in 1975.
Background
Children's Hospital of San Francisco was established in 1875 by three physicians: Dr. Charlotte Blake Brown, Dr. Sara E. Brown, and Dr. Martha E. Bucknell. It began operations at 520 Taylor Street, as the Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children. In 1880, the hospital opened a Training School for Nurses, the first such school west of the Rockies. In 1885, it was reincorporated as the Hospital for Children and Training School for Nurses; its purpose was to care for women and children and to further the advancement of women in medicine, and the education and training of nurses. In its first one hundred years, Children's Hospital grew to a 362-bed, voluntary teaching and research hospital. At the time of its centennial celebration in 1975, Children's Hospital was one of only three independent, non-profit, general teaching hospitals in the state of California.
Extent
Number of containers: 10 cartons, 4 boxes, 2 oversize folders. Number of reels (35mm, positives): 13 Linear feet: 14.2
Restrictions
Copyright has been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of the Manuscripts Division. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and the copyright.
Availability
Collection is open for research, with one exception: Use of original bound volumes of Board minutes is restricted; use microfilm copy instead. Use of originals only by permission of the Head of the Manuscripts Division.