The first user of this multi-use ledger was the Occidental Market of Portland, Oregon,
which was operated by G.V. Marshall and Louis Jantzen. Occidental sold meats to grocers
and hotels. Establishments doing business with Occidental included the Washington,
Shakspear and Union Hotels, the California House, and the Franklin Market. In the fall of
1868 Marshall moved his business to Albany, Oregon. Here his principal customers were
Frenchy Meats and the Empire Restaurant. Marshall appears to have ceased business
operations in December 1868.