Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the William Miles Read Papers, 1867-1929
BANC MSS P-G 251  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (66.94 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Scope and Content
  • Biography

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: William Miles Read Papers,
    Date (inclusive): 1867-1929
    Collection Number: BANC MSS P-G 251
    Creator: Read, William Miles, 1849-1929
    Extent: Number of containers: 3 cartons
    Repository: The Bancroft Library.
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], William Miles Read papers, BANC MSS P-G 251, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Material Cataloged Separately

    • Photographs transferred to the Pictorial Collections of The Bancroft Library
    • Two large maps from the collection have also been removed and catalogued separately.

    Picture Nos. (BANC PIC 1905.11950-.11962--PIC)

    • 11950 Hamilton, Nevada: Hotel [?]
    • 11951 Entrance to Eberhardt Tunnel
    • 11952 Ely, Nevada, view
    • 11953 Ely, Nevada, railway station
    • 11954 Ely, Nevada [?]
    • 11955 Entrance to Eberhardt Tunnel, ca. 1875-1885
    • 11956 Eberhardt Mill with Frank Drake's house
    • 11957 Eberhardt Mill
    • 11958 The miners of the Monitor Mine
    • 11959 The Monitor Mill
    • 11960 The town of South Taylor
    • 11961 People associated with the Monitor Mine
    • 11962 Main Street, Eureka, Nevada

    Portrait Nos.

    • 3197 William Miles Read
    • 3198 William Miles Read
    • 3199 Mrs. William Miles Read
    • 3200 Frank Drake
    • 3201 Jim Ragsdale

    Maps

    • Map of the Monitor
    • Gore Mine Map of the Treasure Hill Mining Area

    Scope and Content

    The collection consists chiefly and most importantly of material relating to the development, growth and subsequent decline of the mining properties of White Pine County, Nevada, herein designated as the "Eberhardt and Aurora mines." The earliest papers detail the transactions of the White Pine Water Works of California, whereby water was made available to the newly-opened mining properties. The sale of this company to the White Pine Waterworks Company, Ltd., of London, a subsidiary of the Eberhardt and Aurora Mining Company, Ltd., marks the initial growth of these mines. The several Reports, both to the Directors of the parent company in London and to the officials of the plant in Nevada, along with the complete file of deeds and agreements pertaining to the reformation of one company into another, may be consulted for clarification of these business activities.
    The Eberhardt Mill and Mining Company had been established in the late '60s, and was sold to the Eberhardt and Aurora Mining Company, Ltd. in 1870. The two major companies acquired by the latter firm in the early '70s were the aforementioned White Pine Water Works of California and the Aurora Consolidated Silver Mining Company, in 1873. Deeds to mines in the Treasure Hill area purchased by Thomas Phillpotts for the Everhardt and Aurora Mining Company, Ltd. at this time are also included in one folder. Properties of the Everhardt and Aurora Mining Company, Ltd. were transferred to the Everhardt Company, Ltd. (date not known), and in turn transferred to the Everhardt and Monitor Company, Ltd. in 1885. Reports of the mines during this period are included in the folder titled "Reports." In 1888 the property was transferred to the New Eberhardt Company, Ltd., for which there are many more documents, including a ledger, journal accounts, pay roll sheets, and reports. The New Eberhardt Company, Ltd. was transferred to the Thistle Reef Gold Mining Company in 1894, and two years later to the Thistle Consolidated Mines, Ltd., which in turn was sold to William Miles Read. The latter continued to operate the property until 1904, when title passed to a company registered in the Transvaal.

    Biography

    William Miles Read was born in England in 1849 and came to the United States in 1865. By the early 1870s he was in White Pine County, Nevada, working for the Eberhardt and Aurora Mining Company, Ltd., one of whose officials was Francis (Frank) Drake. Read's association with Drake outlasted their association with the Eberhardt mines; Read married Drake's niece, Rose, was a partner with him in many other Nevada mining ventures, and also served as administrator of Drake's estate after the latter's death in 1909.
    Read removed to California, living chiefly at Capitola, and engaged in steamship operations between San Francisco and Alaska. He was also interested in California real estate, in Alameda and Kern counties, and his correspondence indicates a continuing involvement in Nevada porperties in the vicinity of the "Eberhardt and Aurora mines."
    Read died on December 14, 1929, at the home of his daughter, Charlotte Read Jeffreys (Mrs. E. C. Jeffreys) in Oakland, and was buried from Santa Cruz. His widow, Rose Drake Read, and two grand-daughters also survived. One of the grand-daughters, Mrs. Dora Jeffreys Hoover has provided biographical and other materials, a manuscript map of the Treasure Hill area, and especially informative notes regarding the "Monitor and Gore" mine. Mrs. Hoover sold the collection to the Bancroft Library in 1953.