Records include correspondence, minutes, announcements and flyers, historical
information, subject files.
The organization began in 1917 after the opening of the University Hospital, when the
need for some type of non-official support was needed. The first name adopted by the
group was "Ladies of the Medical Faculty of UC," apparently the first such group west of
the Mississippi. In 1925 the name was changed to "Doctors' Wives Association of U.C.,"
and the goals were much the same: working for hospital as needed, providing social
occasions for wives of medical faculty. One of the earliest projects was the provision of
clothing for children in the pediatric wards. In the years that followed, the Doctors'
Wives also supported Dr. Olney's camp for diabetic children, decorated Christmas trees,
and provided furnishings for Millberry Union.