The Henry Miller papers measure 5 linear inches and date from 1880, 1909 to 1917, 1964 to
1965. The papers consist predominantly of photocopied letters from Miller to the
Superintendent of the New Columbia Division of Miller & Lux properties, Patrick Henry
Turner. The letters contain directives on the management of Miller & Lux. There are also
two newspaper clippings: one announces the decision of the Miller & Lux directors to end
the firm in 1964 and includes details about Miller's heirs and what section of the firm
each will receive; the second gives detailed information about both the personal and
professional life of Henry Miller.
Henry Miller was born Heinrich Alfred Kreiser in Brackenheim, Germany in 1827. At the age
of eighteen, he left Germany and after a few years of working in England, had saved
enough for his fare to the United States. In 1850, he changed his name and moved from New
York to San Francisco. Miller soon found employment at a butcher's shop and within a few
years he had his own business. In 1857 Miller and Charles W. Lux formed Miller & Lux, a
cattle ranch company which was dominant in the wholesale and packaged meat business in
California for seventy-five years. Even after the death of Lux, Miller managed to expand
the business until his own death in 1916. Miller's family managed to keep the company
going after his death until it finally folded in 1964.
Copyright has not been transferred to California State University, Fresno.
The collection is open for research.