Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Barlow Medical Library Records 1899-1951
93  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (67.92 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
From 1899 a small medical library existed to serve the College of Medicine of the University of Southern California (USC) and the physicians of the city. In 1906 Dr. Walter Jarvis Barlow, a faculty member of the College of Medicine, deeded to the Los Angeles College Clinical Association (a non-profit holding corporation of the College of Medicine, USC) a new building erected to house the growing collection. The Library was named in his honor, and its governance was entrusted to the Board of Trustees of the Barlow Medical Library Association. In 1932 the collections of the Barlow Medical Library were transferred to the Los Angeles County Medical Association, and in 1992 they came to the University of California, Los Angeles. The collection consists of financial records, correspondence and other documents concerned with the Library's operations, various printed materials, and photographs, all concentrating on the period of 1907-1934.
Extent
3.5 linear feet (7 document boxes) 1 map folder
Restrictions
Publication Rights
Availability
The collection is open for research. Contact the History and Special Collections Division, Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, University of California, Los Angeles, for information.