Record Series 694 contains the constitutions, by-laws, and amendments of UCLA's Faculty Women's Club.
The Faculty Women's Club (FWC) originated as a political action group. In 1918 there were moves afoot to create a four-year
college in Southern California. Women of the faculty of the Los Angeles Normal School came together and formed a Faculty Women's
Club in order to help gather support for the proposed four year college particularly among women's groups in the State. In
1919 the Normal School became the Southern Branch of the University of California. Once the political objective was achieved
the FWC met to consider the club's future. The club determined to continue and by the spring of 1920 the first constitution
and purpose of the FWC of the Southern Branch of the University of California had been drafted. The first purpose did not
include specific mention of scholarships and yet the treasurer's report for 1920-1921 includes the entry: $30.00 for Student
Loan Fund. This fund, the first such fund at UCLA, was the modest beginning for the club's present scholarship program. The
club has continued, without interruption, and tried to fulfill the founders' hope that it would "create a broader view and
deeper interest in the civic, political and social life in our community."
0.4 linear ft.
Copyright has not been assigned to the UCLA University Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from the
records must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the UCLA
University Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.